Last Saturday I participated in the Dallas Summerfest parade. Michele, a gal from my troupe and fearless leader of Dallas ICAN, walked with me as well three girls who participated in the art programs. My friend Amanda, whom I pressed into service also walked. Thankfully the temperature had not yet climbed to triple digits. Still it was a warm day.
Belly dancing for a parade doesn't seem as taxing as marching but the sweat still showed. Shimming, spinning and undulating for a mile and a half takes its toll on a girl. Even parring my costume down and keeping my jewelry light didn't help all that much.
It was a sharp contrast to one of my first performances. My troupe back home belly danced outdoors in December. A cold belly and even colder feet, a hot chocolate remedy was required immediately after dancing.
Between the two I'd rather do the parade again. It was a much better crowd, minus the brazen dolt who shouted a rude request. My energy was much better for the parade as well, perhaps because I love to feed off the energy of the crowd and the parade was a much more festive atmosphere.
I'm still trying to get up the guts to do a show at a bookstore that likes to feature local talent. Its tempting yet very frightening. I'm used to performing at street fares with groups of five to six, wandering around to different musican booths and playing off their songs. This kind of performance would be in a statonary setting though people would be milling around the store. The part that would really make me queezy is doing a 30-40 minute show by myself. If I could get some girls from my troupe interested in dancing with me it would be better. I'll have to see who I can sweet talk.
No comments:
Post a Comment