Friday, July 10, 2009

No Offense Bette


On my way home from the grocery store the song "Bette Davis Eyes" came on the radio. I was reminded of the first time I heard the song. As a thirteen year old I was entranced by the idea of having such alluring eyes. Imaging what they must really look like I envisioned soft expressive eyes that could pull at the heart strings or create thunderstorms or hint at secret smiles. How magical they must be to entrance men in such a way, how powerful. I especially loved the line "All the boys think she's a spy". If only I could pull that off. As an awkward teen it was a heady thought.

This illusion held untill I saw a picture of Betty Davis. Yikes! More terrifing then entrancing, I would think the natural recation would to be run and find a warding charm. Not quite the message I wanted to send. The song was to be aspired to, not the actual thing.

"Her hair is Harlow gold, her lips sweet surprise
Her hands are never cold, she's got Bette Davis eyes
She'll turn the music on you, you won't have to think twice
She's pure as New York snow, she got Bette Davis eyes

And she'll tease you, she'll unease you
All the better just to please you
She's precocious, and she knows just
What it takes to make a pro blush
She got Greta Garbo's standoff sighs, she's got Bette Davis eyes"
- From Bette Davis Eyes by Kim Carnes

No comments:

Post a Comment